Monday, March 28, 2011

Shannon and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

On January 27th, 2011 there was a lot of bad.

Most significantly, I learned that my beloved Grandma had been diagnosed with a very bad cancer.

I received some pretty hurtful news concerning an ex boyfriend.

Work was stressful, life was sad, by the time I got home I was on the verge of a breakdown, and all I wanted to do was crawl into bed with my computer and watch The Biggest Loser.

I was mere feet from my bed, moments from sanctuary...

and I dropped my MacBook Pro onto my foot.

Now you're probably thinking, "Are you sure that was caused by a laptop, Shannon? It wasn't a rusty battle axe or an ACME anvil?"

Yes, I'm sure, and those are strange things to suggest I would have in my bedroom. Reader, please stop saying weird things in the middle of my story.

ANYWAYS, the laptop bounced off of my foot, and landed with a crash. I fell to the ground and landed with a wail, "UuuhhAAAAHOOOWWLAURIE!"

Laurie ran to my rescue, looked at my foot and said, "Ok, it looks like you broke a vein."
"OhHHhh, is that all?" I thought as I felt the blood drain out of my face.

Laurie was my hero that night. She's not the most comfortable around blood, but for my sake, she was a regular Florence Nightingale as she washed and dressed my gash. While I sat on the toilet and was tended to, I went into minor shock and my teeth chattered uncontrollably for a few minutes. I figured this was as good a time as any to cry.

So I straight up bawled.
I cried for my wonderful Grandma, who I should not have to say goodbye to yet.
I cried because (although I like to think otherwise) the thoughtlessness of my ex could still really cut me up. I was still in the middle of missing him, which hurt enough.
I cried because it had been an awful month full of losing trust in people, in adults I looked up to, and I could already feel myself becoming a bitter version of Shannon.

And you know what? My foot really hurt.

But life goes on and the day after your worst day can't be as bad. The month after your worst month has to be better. Insert meaningful 'time heals all wounds' expression here.

Speaking of wounds healing, for mitts and wiggles, I thought I would track the progress of my foot.

One day out.

Two days out. Note the accumulation of sock fiber.

A few months later you can still see the scar, but I don't mind. Yes, I've lost my career as a flip flop model, but I love a good story and a gnarly scar or bruise is like walking around with a sticker: "Ask Me About My Wound." Well, I don't mind if I do!

And, uh, I guess I just did.


(P.S. I totally forgot to mention the most gory detail! I looked at my computer later and found A CHUNK OF SKIN that had been sliced off and was stuck inside an edge. 'Battle axe' may actually be a fair description...)

1 comment:

  1. OUCH! And I'm so sorry about your grandmas news. You have a great blog.
    (: best wishes.

    Lucy

    sharpest-lives.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete